Malignant and benign growth removal
Skin growth or tags are a common issue for most people. A growth consists of a lump of tissue that projects out from the surrounding skin. Common types of growths are moles, warts, and other skin tags.
Malignant Versus Benign Most growths ore benign and harmless, however in some causes moles or other growths may be malignant. A malignant growth is a growth or skin tags that is cancerous. If you have a mole or a wart or any other type of growth you should get it checked immediately by a dermatologist, so there is no way to tell on your own (for certain), whether the growth is cancerous or not.
Early detection of malignant growths can allow your dermatologist to remove the growth and begin a specific course of treatment right away, possibly saving your life!
Growth Removal There are a number of procedures we offer for growth removal. Depending on whether the growth is malignant or benign, we will advise a certain specific course of treatment; specific to you and your needs. Some methods for growth removal are:
- Cryotherapy: Freezing off the mole or wart and the area surrounding using liquid nitrogen.
- Excision Surgery: Removal using a scalpel or surgical knife.
- Electrosurgery: Using electricity, moles or warts can be burned off.
- Ligation: a surgical method that ties off the blood supply to a mole or wart, using a surgical thread.
- Laser resurfacing: Some growths can be removed using a high heat laser.
- Dermabrasion: after the area is numbed, a special brush is used to remove the layers of skin holding onto the growth and the growth itself. Revealing a new, smoother layer of skin. Used with chemical peels and losers as well.
- Desiccation: Highly effective procedure, where a high-frequency electrical impulse is directed into the skin growth for a few seconds, eliminating the growth and causing scab to form. When the scab falls off new, healthy skin takes its place.
Growths should immediately be examined by a doctor, and a biopsy may be necessary to determine if it is malignant or not. If you have the presence of an unknown growth or skin tag along your skin schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Early detection is the best method of cancer treatment possible.